Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Building Goat Fence (Always an adventure!)


Photo
She looks cute and innocent, but she is very sneaky...
PhotoYesterdays project was to fence in the alfalfa strip dad plants in front of the garden. I didn't think it would be that big of deal, except I have a goat that is a professional escape artist. I am pretty sure she is a decedent of goats trained by the great Houdini. So every fence I build (even this fence that is temporary) has to be Houdini proof.
  
So I gathered my equipment which consisted of:
- Plastic fence posts, which had to be removed from a previous fencing project and led to me getting into the nettles
- Spool of wire
- Wire cutters

Photo As soon as I got out to the goat barn and started reassessing my situation and figuring out what I wanted to do I realized I was short of equipment. I forgot that I would need insulators to connect the fence to the barn, do you think I could find insulators? No of course not! So I improvised. I found an
Photoold piece of hose no longer useful for transporting water throughout because it had some minor holes, and ran the wire through it then looped around the beam of the barn and tied it off. It worked better than I thought it would! My father always called this streak of brilliance "Redneck Ingenuity"
So I got the fence jumped (attached it to the other electric fence so it would also be electrified) and ran it from the barn and post to post. It took me about half an hour to do this project on my own and that was running two strands (you know because of Houdini goat). I think pushing the fence posts into the ground took the most time, we have A LOT of rocks. . . . .. . . . But now that the fence is done the goats are happy. I am limiting the amount of alfalfa they get to prevent any health issues. They seem very content grazing and the ironic thing is little miss Houdini goat doesn't even venture out into the new pasture, she's content to stay in the regular pen all day while everyone else is out enjoying the nice green grass.
Photo
Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment